Music Banter - View Single Post - Modernism - is demonstration the end of expressionism?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubato View Post
I wasn't trying to generalise Avant-garde as being devoid of expression nor was my argument against avant-garde, I was speaking specifically about those who get caught up too much in trying to bring something new to the table.
But you did make the generalization that avant-garde composers were more caught up in innovation, and that through this mentality personal and creative expression is "crippled."

Also, I am not implying that you are against avant-garde music. You claimed that you were under the impression that those who compose music through the use of unconventional (or avant-garde) techniques are more focused on innovation and less on artistic expression, and I said I was confused by this notion. That's about it.

Quote:
Seeing as how the subject deals with my view on music I thought it was relevant, If your piece is supposed to represent something surely it would be better to use one or more aspects in your work that would point to it rather than just randomly mix things together that have nothing to do with it.
But I don't think I ever said anything about this. What exactly does this have to do with anything pertaining to the discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
I agree 100%; there is a popular notion that novelty or difference has an intrinsic value.
Would you mind sharing a few examples of this?

Quote:
The problem is when musical taste becomes a sort of social signifier; of class, education, & political beliefs (etc.), as then some people will opt to like music (or at least claim to like certain music) to fit into their desired social scene.
What does this have to do with the discussion at hand?

Quote:
I know some praise this type of self-sorting, but it strikes me as horrible; dystopian, even.
I understand why you don't like it, but how is it dystopian?
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote