Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you consider electronic music creators musicians?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #41 (permalink)
rnrloser_IX
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubato View Post
What's the fundamental difference between Just plotting down notes into a piece of computer software and just playing a few notes on piano? a piano is just a tool, as is the program used to play the piece. Most electronic music tends to fail at being able to use convincing articulation, dynamics and rubato, leaving the end result rather cold, even those that can are severely outmatched by their more traditional counterparts, but their use and end goal is the same, the electronic one just lacks the performance value.
There is actually a big difference between plotting the notes and playing the notes, even if the tune is the same and the sound produced by the computer is accurate and doesn't sound like a "generated piano" tone. A piano, or any other instrument, is not just a tool. There is an important relationship between the player and the instrument that affects how it sounds, especially things like woodwinds/brass, percussion, and stringed instruments. My brother can take my guitar and play something and then I could mimic it on the same set up, but it wouldn't sound nearly as good. He plays better than me, even really easy basic things sound better with him. There are a bunch of factors that go into producing a specific sound that is just not accomplishable by plotting an A note. This can include how hard you push air with your lungs, where your pushing it from, how you position you're hand or strum, or even how you press to the next note on a piano (this is an array of things pertaining to a bunch of different instruments). Modifying these things can have huge impact on the overall sound of a piece and really separates the weekend warriors from the professionals (not trying to discredit the weekend warrior, just saying a professional is usually a bit, or a lot, better).

Besides, have you ever noticed that not everyone can play an instrument. There is a reason. An instrument isn't simply push here and blow and therefore is different from a tool. If it were just a tool then anyone could do it as easily as using a screwdriver (twist here), a hammer (hit there), a saw (do back forth motion), or a power drill (pull trigger). Its different, even with the very basics, not everyone can play basic patterns like a seasoned player. Even if they do the motions correctly, it can still sound like crap. This is a huge distinguishing feature between a mediocre rhythm player and a professional. Even if they're playing an incredibly easy progression, the professional will sound better.