Music Banter - View Single Post - industrialized food
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Eh, I really don't care. I just switched to ovo-lacto vegetarianism (aside from wild game meat), however, mostly because I want to remain skinny and would rather continue smoking unfiltered cigarettes instead of doing chronic cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Cows standing in shit all day with infected utters producing milk with puss in it- as well as meat with bacteria in it- sure isn't nice to think about. Ecoli cases have skyrocketed and whatknot.
Eh? Dairy cows don't stand in one place all day - even if you meant to be using hyperbole, that's wildly inaccurate. A few basic facts illustrate why:

-for milk to be pumped, you need to create negative pressure, and because of the nature of dairy farming (people/animals going inside/outside constantly), a series of vacuum pumps is used to this effect. Most set ups use a series of individual pumps called pulsators at each stall. Meaning, if there was a significant amount of dirt, they would get clogged, and you wouldn't be able to pump ****. This is why you constantly hear pressure washers going.

-it wouldn't just be wildly expensive to have a cow contained to a milking stall, it'd be wildly inefficient.

-(1) if a cow has an infected teat, you don't put anything on that because (a), you'd risk further injuring an animal worth thousands, (b) it would go ape****, and dealing with an angry a 1,000+lb cow would be a time sink, (2) when you're dealing with a cow that has any suspected issues, the milk is pumped but it's dumped, (3) talk to any mother who breastfed regularly and you'll understand why it'd be cruel to NOT pump a cow with an infected teat. (edit: obviously, you just work around the infected teat)

But, hey, what the **** would I know? I've only worked in a dairy parlor.