Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you consider electronic music creators musicians?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #51 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfisa View Post
The definition of music has been challenged, and debated to death. To me, noise can be music, and no one has any right to tell me otherwise. People always call me pretentious, but I get "that's not music" response a lot when I share things that I like. I tell them that saying something can't be music is more pretentious than saying something can be music. It's aggravating how hypocritical people are about music, they can't step outside of their head for 5 minutes to see something in a different way.
So if they don't have the 'right' to challenge your perspective... why do 'you' have the right to challenge them to step out of their personal preferences to consider a different view?

Why do you consider noise to be music? Why are you using a different term? One that's typically associated with dissonant, atonal sound devoid of traditional or recognizable rhythms and melodies. That lacking tonal familiarity within noise IS a fundamental aspect of music to the vast majority of listeners.

Fact is the responses you've presented here are pretentious. You're just twisting what they're saying to use it against them like it amounts to anything. I mean really... it's more pretentious to say that noise can't be music than to say it can. That's just weak. I'm sure you've posted wiser things than that in the past and if that's the kind of 'justifying' you pull while debating with people face to face then you deserve the names and derision.

If you really want to pull out wild far reaching ideas on ambiguous aspects of art and stuff you need to figure out a way to do it which encompasses as many differing and conflicting views as possible, otherwise you're always going to be facing conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote