Music Banter - View Single Post - Win Janszoon Over to the Beatles
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #122 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Alright, now we're talking. Fine Blastinga is talking about the whole picture, but all those variables come together to create one sound, not multiple sounds. So you have tuning, and relativity, and blends, and bends, whether its a strat or a fender...but thats all one note.

So is it really the culmination that creates the sound, or the sounds together. If that solo was backed up by, say, a mariachi band, would it be just as good? Do we know? Does its duration constitute something less than a whole melody? Why don't we ever talk this deep-down about stuff? Its where the real stuff is.

Don't you quit on me, Freebase. Don't you ****ing quit on me.
Yea, I would tend to say that while there are many great (and great sounding) guitar solos out there, the solo, while containing multiple notes, is still only one element of a larger whole. I don't define a song by its solo or lack of a solo, and tend to view a solo as only one of the legs supporting the expression of an idea. In the case of the particular solo Blastingas is talking about, I think its a leg that just stands, maybe not the fanciest leg, and it's certainly not the only leg, and one could probably saw it off and the other legs would be fine on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
From now on I am basing all future judgments on whether or not a particular solo would sound good backed by a mariachi band.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote