Music Banter - View Single Post - God is in your mind?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #299 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
FYI tore gregg braden never claimed that he cured cancer in three minutes he presented a video that was done in a medicineless hospital in china, u can't even repeat something u just heard correctly. And again u just don't understand if your mind is already made up what is real and what is not, your ego won't allow u to gain any more knowlege than u already HAVE. Remember when we all were teenagers and thought we knew everything, and low an behold a few years later we learned that we knew jack ****, and then we thought we had it all figured out again and then a few years later learned we knew jack ****, u see a pattern emerging. Might want to keep an open mind. And actually form an opinion all on your own that isn't someone elses, that is only after u have seen all information WITH YOUR OWN EYES, AND ACTUALLY READ A BOOK OR SOMETHING. IF WE WANT YOUR OPINION TORE, ALL WE GOT TO DO IS GO TO WIKAPEDIA, SO U MIGHT AS WELL JUST CUT AND PASTE INSTEAD OF DOING ALL OF THAT TYPING, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLMFAO.
My mind's not closed. I'm learning something new every day. I'm just picky with what I accept as fact or not, real or not. Generally speaking, the more outrageous a claim is, the more convincing evidence I want before I accept it as true. If I see the claim that, for example, people are able to walk on water because quarks are not subject to gravity, then I find that claim to be pretty outrageous because the physics behind it sound bogus to me and people are generally not able to walk on water. If the day comes and scientific publications clearly show how it is indeed possible, then I will accept it, no problem.

You see, before I accept a statement as true, it has to pass some sort of quality control. Do you have a quality control or is your mind open to all sorts of ideas, regardless of whether they're wrong or right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
U can believe this if u want, I don't really care , but the cause of cancer and all sickness is negative emotions. Science has proven when a person is feeling love or any other positive emotion our brain produces all the right chemicals for immunity. And when u are feeling neg emotions ur body isn't. Proving god, which is love heals. All the evidence is out there proving god if u seek it. But if u don't seek it u won't find it guaranteed. Wikapedia is your god, all knowing and omnipotent, hahahahahaha SOMEONE SHOULD REPORT TOR FOR SOLICITATION, I THINK HE IS A MARKETING REP FOR WIKAPEDIA, LMFAO, I THINK I'M GOING TO QUIT MY JOB AND BECOME A COMEDIAN,, just one more question tore, u probably watched only 15 bin of a video and already formed an opinion, for a man of science that isn't very scientific. Like I said before all we hate in this world r reflections of ourselves., now I got to bust out some vintage slang, BOOYAA!
Generally speaking, cancer is caused by mutations. Carcinogens, that are things that cause cancer, do so either because they directly disrupt your DNA - a good example is radiation such as gamma radiation - or they disrupt cellular processes which in turn causes mutations in DNA.

If negative emotions are the cause of cancer, then you would expect only people with negative emotions to get it. Yet there are negative people who don't get cancer and positive people who do get cancer. Even children who probably don't know what it is get cancer. If you're in an unfortunate minority, you can be genetically predisposed to cancer which can really worsen your chances. The point is your idea of how the world works does not fit the observations.

Positive emotions and belief is good for your health, no doubt about it. It's probably been explained 100 times before on this forum, but do you know what a placebo effect is? A placebo effect is when someone's health reacts positively to something which has no medical effect. It is when someone gets well because they get sugar pills which they believe to be real medicine. Placebo effect is a power of the mind and yes, it is real. For that reason, if you give someone something to make them well - when they get better, it's hard to know if it's the medicine you gave them or just a placebo effect. This is why, when new drugs are tested, some people are given placebo pills while others get the real medicine. For a new medicine to get accepted, it has to do better than the placebo effect. That is people who get the medicine need to have significantly better health effects from their pills than the ones who get the placebo pills. That is how we know medicine works - it's better than the power of the mind alone.

Placebo effects have been studied for a long time. And while they can't help you with every medical problem, wishful/positive/hopeful thinking can do a lot for people's health, but that's the limit. It can't make you walk on water, can't make you fly, can't make you read minds and it doesn't turn you into Harry Potter or Jesus. If you claim it can, the burden of proof is on you.

Blankety Blank, I forgot to comment on it, but burden of proof means when someone makes an outrageous statement, they should back that statement up with evidence if they want to be believed or taken seriously in the discussion. If someone tells you they can lift a bulldozer over their head, then you might say "prove it - lift the bulldozer". The burden of proof is on the guy because he claims to be able to do something no human being has ever been documented of being able to do. Imagine if the strong guy, when faced with your request for proof, just says "prove to me I can not".

That basically happens a lot during these discussions.

Last edited by Guybrush; 03-06-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote