Music Banter - View Single Post - Goshdarn you, Britain
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #76 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

It's probably worth noting that you're both using different countries for examples - the demographic layout and diversity in the USA and the UK are markedly different, as is immigration. You seem to be making great reference to illegal immigration, Salami, which is only a portion of the total immigration of any country. Indeed, more diversity is likely to arise through legal immigration in the US than illegal immigration, since the only people really in a position to immigrate illegally are on the other side of the mexican border. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

The UK on the other hand has to deal with a gradual seep if immigrants coming through other European countries from pretty much all over the Eurasian continent and Africa. What's the difference? Well, Legal immigrants are much more likely to be able to support themselves or already have a job lined up (in order to be able to immigrate in the first place). That then negates the argument that diversity -> poverty. While it is certainly one reason why there might be more crime/less community involvement in diverse areas, it is certainly not the only one.

There is definitely a trust issue in the world at the moment, which I think is much of what hip hop bunny hop is saying. There are examples in every single country in the world of how birds of a feather flock together: Ex-patriate communities in every country in the world, sometimes to have a reminder of home, more often because the members are unwilling to immerse themselves in the local environment. There are serious problems in pretty much ever western european country at the moment with immigrant communities deliberately isolating themselves from the natives, particularly with Muslim communities attempting to push through the right to govern themselves under Sharia Law rather than the laws of the country itself (something I personally have serious problems with). Given the climate of tension and war in the world at the moment, it is hardly surprising that communities are drawing in on themselves and excluding those they don't know.

Finally, I don't really know what you two are arguing about.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote