Music Banter - View Single Post - Goshdarn you, Britain
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #78 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post

The UK on the other hand has to deal with a gradual seep if immigrants coming through other European countries from pretty much all over the Eurasian continent and Africa. What's the difference? Well, Legal immigrants are much more likely to be able to support themselves or already have a job lined up (in order to be able to immigrate in the first place). That then negates the argument that diversity -> poverty. While it is certainly one reason why there might be more crime/less community involvement in diverse areas, it is certainly not the only one.
Yes legal immigrants usually do have jobs lined up, but unless they are professionals or non-professionals with a good salary, they will still end up living in more impoverished areas anyway or cramped conditions. The point that Salami is making and you seem to be agreeing with, is that its actually irrelevant on the ethnic make-up of an impoverished area in relation to crime. Impoverished areas are crime ridden in general, regardless of whether its solely a black or white area or mixed racially, this pattern can be seen across most of the UK, that seems to be the issue that Salami is taking up with HHBH.

You mention about serious problems with some immigrants not immersing themselves into the native communities, well I'm not sure how old you are but I can tell you that it has been that way since the 1970s and its no different today, the only difference today is that its more highlighted by media. I would actually say that Asians (Indians and Pakistanis) are more immersed than they were ever before.

The tensions that you're referring to, I guess are the continuing economic crisis but as for wars!!! There are no more skirmishes today than there were before.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote