Music Banter - View Single Post - God is in your mind?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #308 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
Awesome question, I guess the only way to find that out is to change our beliefs and see for ourselves, but to get into that realm I guess u have to have faith, believing in what u can't see, everything that was created was created thru faith, if u had to see to believe nothing new would ever have been created. To go to space, build a car or anything for that matter happen from believing something was possible before seeing any evidence, faith, so maybe there is a god, cause that is his words, in all holy books around the world
Hmm, I would object to the use of the word "faith" in this manner. I feel "belief" is more correct. Faith implies a... lack of evidence, no requirement of evidence. A scientist does not say "that is impossible". A scientist says "that is improbable", or "that is currently impossible". No scientist should rule out the possibility of a god or gods, in my opinion. That isn't to say that they should believe in a god or gods, though. As many have probably pointed out, there are more "logical" explanations for life, that stand up to rigorous testing in a way that mythological creation simply doesn't. The simple fact that we have got to space is proof of that. It doesn't require faith, just determination :P Again, I can see where you're coming from, but I think you are attributing too much to a concept that doesn't quite apply.

For example, there's the question of God's isolationist approach to the tending of mankind. I could understand if God was not "Good", if we were simply a creation for His Idle Amusement, but that contradicts the "god cares for us all" aspect of most christian religions. If He is adamant to leave us to discover Good and Truth on our own, then why Jesus? And irrespective of Jesus, surely we learn and grow through questioning - when we ask, we learn why, when we know why, we understand, and that matures us. Shouldn't God want his people to question, and through questioning understand the Greater Truth, rather than simply accepting and living in Darkness? It is though ignorance and trickery that the Devil does his work, after all - if we arm ourselves with the Truth, we can help deliver ourselves from Evil.

Just a couple of thoughts. I don't know how they fit into your own personal views of religion, but I find it interesting how personal religion is when you start to ask the right questions. It's also the reason why I dislike Organised Religion as a rule: God means a different thing to everyone, and Organised religion tries to but a general stamp on something which is beautifully unique to each and every person.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote