Music Banter - View Single Post - What's Your Guitar Pedal Board Setting?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezZ View Post
Ahh i didnt realize you had 2 amps. That makes much more sense. Personally I have always wanted a el84/34 combo on one side and a Fender Twin on the other for the ultimate range of sounds.

Yes but the one thing I dont see them coming close to perfecting is true power tube distortion. While Hi Gain and Clean sound great with a nice Solid State/Modeling/etc they still dont have the power tube overdrive sound.

I have never heard a pedal/patch/preamp that has ever sounded as good as the sound of a power tube being pushed when playing with some overdrive/low gain. And because of this its the reason nearly every guitarist playing music that requires that sound plays on cranked tube amps when possible.

Sure you can make the argument "but people just think they are better, and get them because they cant tweak settings on a digital amp and are just following the trend of tube amps". I agree, lots of people are. But every big artist that has been around for years like Lifeson/Young/Trower/Satch/Vai and a list that goes on forever are all playing cranked tube amps at nearly every show. You think they havnt tried every new possible gizmo and gadget thats come out to see if it will sound better? They are concerned with one thing, the best possible sound on stage. and in the studio.

Ultimately you are right, modeling/ss amps and technology have come very far and often rival their tube counterparts. But a tube amp does one thing amazing well, as I have mentioned multiple times is the clipping of the signal inside the power tubes. At the end of the day a modelling amp is still just emulating this effect.
Actually Vai is currently using an AxeFX system in the studio.

Allow me to provide you some tone clips of modelling btw.

All this is is the same riff played through the DEFAULT SETTINGS of each seperate amplifier in guitar rig 5. The only things I changed for each track were I whacked the master volumes all the way up to get power tube distortion, and I set the cabinet level. I changed nothing else.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8noor375nvz8er4

Edit: Also, all of those players were major players in the days when there was no modelling AT ALL. If it weren't for the fact that modern "shredders" are all ****, I'd be interested to see how many of them are going to be as big as vai in 10 years and will have gotten there through modelling rather than tube amps.

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 03-09-2012 at 05:28 AM.
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote