Music Banter - View Single Post - Stupid things you've done to attract the opposite sex
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #179 (permalink)
Sansa Stark
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
I've been sexually assaulted twice. You're right, it's not something you'll soon forget, and you can bet if someone here legitimately thought rape wasn't a big deal, that I'd be the first person to tell them how wrong they are.

I understand the seriousness of rape, but this was intended as humor.
Umm, just because you have experience with sexual assault, does not mean you speak for all victims, and just because YOU find it humourous, doesn't mean EVERYONE does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by These guys View Post
This is my opinion too. I personally didn't find it particularly clever or funny, but I won't have a double standard of turning my nose up at a rape joke when I certainly don't at jokes about murder, suicide, deaths in the family, domestic abuse, racism, genocide, God, 9/11, the holocaust, Joseph Kony or any celebrity that's ever died.

Do I find many of the above jokes tasteless? Sure. But if something makes me laugh then it makes me laugh, and I'm not going to stifle because the reality of these events were/are tragities. I don't confuse reality with humor. Great humor is the exaggeration of reality, not the advocation of a particular ideal.

You're free to find Duce's comment distasful and unfunny, I did. That doesn't mean he's some kind of subhuman monster that should make you sick.
None of the above jokes are funny, except for maybe God jokes because fictional characters are fair game. The ones about domestic abuse, racism, genocide, and the holocaust are pretty awful as well because they make light of subjects that shouldn't be taken lightly, and YES when you make jokes about them, they are taken lightly. Sure, you may say to yourself "But I would never lynch someone/gas someone/beat my wife whatever the hell, but this is such an egocentric view of a touchy subject. You may not do those things or approve of those things, but someone in your audience may begin to lack the proper reverence for them. I mean, especially domestic abuse and rape, what with the plethora of "get in the kitchen" jokes that seem to form a camaraderie of misogynistic *******s who don't even know they're woman haters. Or when people see that one graphic of the woman holding a sign saying a percentage of women suffer from domestic violence every year, and it says around it " (the other percentage) didn't need telling twice" or some stupid **** like that. People find this humourous, what the ****? All these kinds of jokes contribute to rape culture, and there is a constant undercurrent of "She asked for it though! she should have given the man what he wanted!" that is extremely unnerving to witness. What's even more disgusting is if a woman speaks out against it, she has no sense of humour or the state of her menstrual cycle is called into question. I mean, really? Someone who uses things like rape and paedophilia to shock ARE subhuman monsters, there is no escaping that at all, gaining laughs or attention at the expense of the suffering of others is utterly repugnant.
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote