Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock/Metal lovers, do you consider EVERY pop song or band out there bad?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
janexie
Groupie

Default Rock/Metal lovers, do you consider EVERY pop song or band out there bad?

Let me just start by saying that I am also a metal-head when it comes to Symphonic Metal. I love the mixture of classical and heavy rock music- it's beautiful. I have noticed that almost all metal and rock lovers hate pop music. Believe me, I hate it too, but only the new pop. I find it to be stupid, filled with disgusting sexual material and good singers are scarce in the genre because of the overuse of autotune. I can stand autotune if it's used to make an effect in a a song, though. I love the old pop. My favorite band would be ABBA. I find them to be excellent at what they did years ago. The used catchy tunes, employed happy lyrics now and then but also had their dark songs. And when it came to live performances, their guitars were a bit more distorted, so it wasn't plain pop or disco- much more a rock'n roll feeling. You can find a perfect example of this in their live performance of the song "Hole in your Soul" on Youtube. Hell, they even headbanged in that performance. Also, I like Michael Jackson and even Shirley Ellis to name some singers. I think that the old pop and blues etc was deeper than the one we get today. The same goes to electronic music. It's a shame that you can put a full, fake orchestra or string section in a dubstep or techno song by just pushing some buttons on a panel instead of using the real thing. In my opinion there are still great pop singers out there like Josh Groban, IL Volo (which is Operatic Pop), Celine Dion, Amanda Somerville (which is a symphonic metal singer as well and wrote the metal opera Aina) and also Adele etc. My tastes range from old pop and disco to classical and opera, also to hard rock, metal and folk music. What about you guy's? Do you agree that the old pop (and some of the new pop) is good?
janexie is offline   Reply With Quote