Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #4651 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
As a consumer I think you need to be reminded of a saying my local pawn shop likes to tell EVERYONE when they buy used media.

"We guarantee it will work. We do not guarantee you will like it."

You're not owed personal satisfaction as a consumer, you're owed a functional product. If you don't like what's offered you are free to pursue other options.
No **** sherlock, and I am perfectly entitled to voice my opinions as a consumer. This is how business works, yet you always get morons in this discussion who go "Oh well they're just businesses, they don't care about you!" I know that, and I don't care about them and if I feel like they're ripping me off, I won't pay for it.

Quote:
This is kind of off, is your complaint about 'on disc DLC' or used merchandise? Though on the angle of DLC content left on discs but unavailable to the end user until something is bought - YES, car manufacturers do that all the time - governors on the accelerator. They limit the full potential of the vehicle beyond the control of the owner. The car owner buys something with X amount of potential power but can only use Y amount of it unless they either upgrade or circumvent particular elements of the engine.
I wasn't talking aobut on-disc DLC, pay attention. I was talking about used games being resold and how that may be obsolete next gen. Those accelerator governors are for safety reasons, it's not so car manufacturers can make sure you take it to them to be fixed for an additional cost. And it doesn't affect people because chances are they aren't buying the car to street race. Other than that, wonderful comparison!!!

Quote:
As for games and DLC shipping on the disc, what happens if let's say they're working on extra content, but the final ship date is approaching. The non-essential bonus stuff is about 75% complete but still rough around the edges and would stand out in a bad way as compared to the rest of the title. Would you package that bonus on the disc so that early adopter of the DLC only have to download a small file that finishes what was already started or would you rather increase the load on your content servers by forcing consumers to download the entire thing (and possibly blowing their bandwidth caps)? Which one is the easier distribution method?
Again, I'm not sure what part of your ass you pulled the on disc DLC debate out of here, cause I didn't bring it up once, I just don't like DLC in general for the most part. If all DLC was like expansion packs, I'd be ok with it. But most of them I just avoid.

Quote:
The rumours about the next-gen machines not playing used games is far more likely due to the fact that those machines will be abandoning optical media drives in favour of exclusive digital distribution. How do you play a used game on a cd-rom, dvd, or bluray in a machine that doesn't have a slot to insert the disc? Don't think the old games are going away either, consider the popularity of digital distribution for the classics through WiiWare, the PSN Classics, Good Old Games.com, or whatever the Xbox equivalent is. Does the fact that my PS3 doesn't have a cartridge slot mean I can't play classic Atari games? No, it just means I need to download a digital copy instead of dusting off a 30+ year old cartridge and hoping it still works.
That's another scenario entirely to entertain, and if they did that it would cut off users who can't get on the internet with their console entirely. But if they do pursue this route, I'd expect Steam type deals and stuff.

Quote:
The Xbox live price... now that, THAT is a straight up consumer gouge. I could understand a premium pay service similar to the PSN+ but having to pay for basic online functionality, that's just harsh. Too bad the average Xbox user chose to support that.
Something we agree on, incredible.

Quote:
You complain that they should lower prices, but Mass Effect 2 sells for $20 new right now. If that's too much for you then quite frankly, I don't know what to say besides I think you should check your priorities. Really though, how much cheaper would you expect a critically acclaimed, AAA quality, likely $100 million budget (or close) title to be?
The pass code existed when it was $60 too, chief. I'm more concerned about the future costs of playing video games.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote