Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #4659 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I'm gonna be honest, I was fairly intoxicated when i made my original post, but I'm going to try defend it just for arbitrary practice.

When Shenmue (dreamcast) came out it costed 70 million. GTA 4,100 million. I couldn't find mass effect specifically, but it has really high production values, voice work, fully orchestrated soundtrack. Im guessing it wasn't cheap.
Well GTA 4 has a bigger market so it makes sense it'd have a higher budget, it sold 9.53 million on Xbox, 9.02 million on PS3, and 0.66 million on the PS3, for a grand total of 19.21 million. You do the math, but it's guaranteed that comes out to a massive profit margin.

Even GTA 4's cost is only a bit less than half the total amount made by Mass Effect 2. And GTA 4 has the highest budget of any game ever, so it's safe to say Mass Effect 2 costed less to make.

Not much we can do but speculate though without the actual ME2 figures.

Quote:
Thats because steam uses PC propriety. It's easy to upload a version of fallout 1 or some other old 90's pc game and charge it for virtually nothing. If you want to put that game on console your going to need a team to port it which costs money and stuff.
Fair point for older games, but I was also talking about 360 games and wanting deals for them as well. Also, I don't know much about how PC games work anymore, but don't most old PC games not run properly on new PCs? So Steam would have to port them to work on current operating systems, right? I've tried playing older games before like Doom (via illegal downloading) and couldn't get it to run properly, so I ended up buying it on Steam and it worked fine.

Quote:
The industry is heading towards greatness dog. You know what sucked last gen? Having a bug in a game and not being able to patch it. Remember memory cards? those sucked too.

Everythings getting better all the time
It all depends on perspective. The patch thing is good, and that naturally arises when you have a console so tied to something like XBL. Memory cards kind of sucked but at least you didn't lose all your files if your console died, so a positive and a negative.

What do you think about the near total lack of good new IP's coming out? I think it's a bad trend that shows published are unwilling to risk delving into uncharted territory; it could lead to a creative stagflation.

I'm probably biased in all this. Like Il Duce, I'm not huge on multiplayer unless I know the people I'm playing with (and all they want to play is COD, nuff said).
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote