Music Banter - View Single Post - ASAP Rocky
Thread: ASAP Rocky
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
Sure, he's easy to listen to; Kid Cudi is too. There isn't much Stoner rap that's hard to like; Domo Genesis isn't the best rapper, but he's sure has hell mellow and fun.
Kid Cudi is too obviously wack to be easy to listen to.

Quote:
He doesn't have an original idea in his mind either, except to take all these successful Stoner/Gangsta/Indie rap archetypes and cash in on them. At least OF were trying something fairly different; the roots can be traced back, but they only serve as foundation, not the entire package. Plus, OF was never made for easy listening in any sense.
I know, I'm not disagreeing with any of this. I was just saying i prefer Asap's music, it sounds richer and well constructed. Odd Future has a distinct sound, absolutely, but it hasn't matured judging by their 2nd group mixtape, I have a difficult time listening to any of their songs in entirety anymore. Tyler starts a verse screaming "who stole my pizza lunchable!" or something, and i realized i dont care for that particular style of immaturity any longer.
Quote:
Besides, I don't see what his obscure life choices (likely made to establish a name for himself as an oddball) have to do with his actually rapping ability. The fact that he reps NY and does southern Hip Hop and then is a vegetarian is all just a part of an image that's memorable but gimmicky to me.
Nothing, was mostly talking about his perceived identity/personality, i realize that doesn't make the most sense in retrospect. I agree its totally manufactured and phony, I'm giving him credit for at least making a unique one.

Honestly, besides calling himself a "pretty bitch" and using the word "swag" he's just a simple, competent rapper. I don't really notice him stealing rhyme schemes or cadences from odd future, or anyone in particular.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote