Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
Franchise Player
 
Metal Connoisseur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Stoner rap is the crunk of the early 2010's. It sucks and needs to die, fast. This includes A$AP Rocky, who's name I still don't understand.
I believe the A$AP refers to his mob/crew who are like a collective who all have the A$AP label in front of their stage names. But Rocky is just a nickname. So no, I don't think he ripped off Aesop Rock like many Youtubers seem to think.
__________________
Metal Connoisseur's Last.fm
Metal Connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
I believe the A$AP refers to his mob/crew who are like a collective who all have the A$AP label in front of their stage names. But Rocky is just a nickname. So no, I don't think he ripped off Aesop Rock like many Youtubers seem to think.
Thanks for clearing that up, I thought it was supposed to be like a tribute to Aesop, not a ripoff. Of course he has a crew/collective with their own nickname, it's the 'in' thing right now. There is absolutely nothing unique about this guy.

What Surell said pretty much sums up what I think about him.
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

He even claimed on Demons: "Hipster at heart but let me tell you how these streets feel." It's all formula to him, completely inauthentic. But! It is incredibly smooth listening, undoubtedly catchy, and every now and then he has a decent rhyme. However, his most decent of lines can usually be traced directly back to another popular rapper's style.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #34 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
Sure, he's easy to listen to; Kid Cudi is too. There isn't much Stoner rap that's hard to like; Domo Genesis isn't the best rapper, but he's sure has hell mellow and fun.
Kid Cudi is too obviously wack to be easy to listen to.

Quote:
He doesn't have an original idea in his mind either, except to take all these successful Stoner/Gangsta/Indie rap archetypes and cash in on them. At least OF were trying something fairly different; the roots can be traced back, but they only serve as foundation, not the entire package. Plus, OF was never made for easy listening in any sense.
I know, I'm not disagreeing with any of this. I was just saying i prefer Asap's music, it sounds richer and well constructed. Odd Future has a distinct sound, absolutely, but it hasn't matured judging by their 2nd group mixtape, I have a difficult time listening to any of their songs in entirety anymore. Tyler starts a verse screaming "who stole my pizza lunchable!" or something, and i realized i dont care for that particular style of immaturity any longer.
Quote:
Besides, I don't see what his obscure life choices (likely made to establish a name for himself as an oddball) have to do with his actually rapping ability. The fact that he reps NY and does southern Hip Hop and then is a vegetarian is all just a part of an image that's memorable but gimmicky to me.
Nothing, was mostly talking about his perceived identity/personality, i realize that doesn't make the most sense in retrospect. I agree its totally manufactured and phony, I'm giving him credit for at least making a unique one.

Honestly, besides calling himself a "pretty bitch" and using the word "swag" he's just a simple, competent rapper. I don't really notice him stealing rhyme schemes or cadences from odd future, or anyone in particular.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #35 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I know, I'm not disagreeing with any of this. I was just saying i prefer Asap's music, it sounds richer and well constructed. Odd Future has a distinct sound, absolutely, but it hasn't matured judging by their 2nd group mixtape, I have a difficult time listening to any of their songs in entirety anymore. Tyler starts a verse screaming "who stole my pizza lunchable!" or something, and i realized i dont care for that particular style of immaturity any longer..
I actually agree completely with this too, a year ago OF was fresh sounding and even though they were immature, it felt like that was a natural place for them to start and they could progress from that point; which they haven't done and I dunno, they just lost their appeal to me with that 2nd tape.

Still better then A$AP, they were bold enough not to just follow in the footsteps of Wiz Khalifa and all those other bores.
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

It's not necessarily cadences or rhyme schemes, mainly styles, topics, punchlines, etc. But he definitely sounds like Drake on a few songs.

And yes, OF immaturity has gotten out of hand. They should put it more as undertones than they have since their early albums (which aren't really early technically speaking), which makes it seem like their devolving. They seem to have the anti-Lady Gaga or Radiohead effect. Even with this, though, I think they're still some better Hip Hop artists at the moment, and could still pull an Ace out on us (see what i did there).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #37 (permalink)
Franchise Player
 
Metal Connoisseur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
It's not necessarily cadences or rhyme schemes, mainly styles, topics, punchlines, etc. But he definitely sounds like Drake on a few songs.

And yes, OF immaturity has gotten out of hand. They should put it more as undertones than they have since their early albums (which aren't really early technically speaking), which makes it seem like their devolving. They seem to have the anti-Lady Gaga or Radiohead effect. Even with this, though, I think they're still some better Hip Hop artists at the moment, and could still pull an Ace out on us (see what i did there).
Would you say people like G-Side or Main Attrakionz do the style better than Rocky? This is an honest question as I'm not much of a rap aficionado; I think I was trolling the message boards on sputnikmusic when I chanced upon a post where someone mentioned Peso and I took a listen. Anyways, I've heard of the two aforementioned artists but I've never gotten around to listening to them. Worth it?
__________________
Metal Connoisseur's Last.fm
Metal Connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #38 (permalink)
Chocolate Homunculus
 
Phantom Limb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Connoisseur View Post
Would you say people like G-Side or Main Attrakionz do the style better than Rocky? This is an honest question as I'm not much of a rap aficionado; I think I was trolling the message boards on sputnikmusic when I chanced upon a post where someone mentioned Peso and I took a listen. Anyways, I've heard of the two aforementioned artists but I've never gotten around to listening to them. Worth it?
I don't think either of them necessarily do the style better than rocky, they're different. Both main attrakionz and g-side are better rappers, but Rocky has undeniable swag and having partial production by Clams Casino is a plus as well. I'd say you listen to all three cause they're all pretty damn enjoyable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Hip Hop generally bores me now I just listen to stuff I know will be slightly interesting.

Last.Fm

My Bomb Music Shit
Phantom Limb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
Franchise Player
 
Metal Connoisseur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
I don't think either of them necessarily do the style better than rocky, they're different. Both main attrakionz and g-side are better rappers, but Rocky has undeniable swag and having partial production by Clams Casino is a plus as well. I'd say you listen to all three cause they're all pretty damn enjoyable.
Nice, alright I will. Any other stoner/indie rappers you can think of that would be a solid addition to my queue?
__________________
Metal Connoisseur's Last.fm
Metal Connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

I don't know neither of those dudes honestly, I've been mostly out of the loop in terms of new hip Hop. I've heard good things about Main Attracktionz, the other guy(s) I just heard of thanks to this thread.

Btw, Curren$y is great stoner rap, he's really solid.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.