Music Banter - View Single Post - Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) The Fantasy Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
I never read the books, so you book nerds please excuse me for asking...can Joffrey just get mauled by direwolves already? What kind of 13 year old boy doesn't get a stiffy from watching two hot chicks kissing, and instead makes one beat the hell out of the other one? What a sick little ****.

Oh, and I'm very confused by Sansa now. I don't know whether to hate her or feel sorry for her. I'm sure she's traumatized though, and I'm hoping she has some devious plan in mind for getting back at the Lannisters.
I really don't want to spoil anything but rest assured that he gets his in the end, but sadly so do characters you also have grown fond of.

As far as Sansa goes, hating her might be a little extreme but it's pretty understandable to be annoyed with her. She really doesn't see any significant character changes until the 4th book sadly, which leaves her chapters as the least interesting and most skipped for the first three books. I really hope Martin makes her a more engaging character for the last two books, but she's going to have some fierce competition with Arya.

Pertaining to last night's episode, I thought it was perhaps the best in the entire series so far. I loved watching Robb get completely told off by the field nurse lady who will become his love interest. She looks far more interesting than the girl he marries in the novel. I thought it was really nice to get a little bit of insight into Joffrey's sexual deviancy that only gets briefly touched upon in the book, which is a little weird considering Martin is not shy about going into the details and exploits of other characters. It's also further proof to his sociopathic behavior, that often gets shrugged off as the extremes of a spoiled brat, who instead of smacking two toy soldiers together opts to use real men. I also really liked what they did with the Qarth scene, particularly the little in-joke with the pronunciation of the city and the 13's hesitance to let Danaery's enter. I'm also happy that they shied away from the book's description of the Qarthians as having pale milky skin and have added some ethnicity to the cast.

I'm also intrigued by the changes to Arya's story arc this season, they seem to be changing up who she serves as cupbearer for, as in the book it isn't Tywin Lannister. Not really a bad thing but it does have me wondering if a somewhat major event is going to happen or not, and if it does how they're going to change it.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote