Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Drummer Ever
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 08:01 PM   #45 (permalink)
jazzfromhell
SHAKE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog
On what grounds? Overall maybe, but thats because rock is more accecible and you hear more drummers, therefore the scale goes down.

Rock being an amalgamate of all roots music, it seems that rock drummers, having the ability to do jazz and other styles, would have the ability to outshine jazz only drummers. Neil Peart, Carter Beauford, Dave Grohl, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Mike Portney, Ginger Baker, and Stewart Copeland are great example of drummers who can really take rock from some misbegotten art form that jazz guys and classical musicians snub and make it viable.

Just because Meg White and the guy from AC/DC don't go super techinical doesn't mean:
A.) Their bad
B.) That rocks bad
C.) That its a genre that employees terrible skill-less people on the kit.
I did not say that:

A.) Meg White and AC/DC's drummers are bad because they play simple beats. I often find myself defending them, especially Meg, when other people say they suck at drums, which is a stupid thing to say, considering that they both do exactly what drummers are supposed to do in the first place: keep the beat.
B.) That rock's bad, I like it just as much as jazz and probably a bit more.
C.) That rock employs terrible and less-skilled people on the kit. I didn't say rock drummers are bad in any way, shape, or form. I just said that in general I think jazz drummers are way better, because I find their playing more interesting and complex.

There are jazz drummers that transcend genres as well (not too many in the traditional jazz area, I'll give you that), mainly in fusion: Dave Weckl, Alex Acuña, Jack DeJohnette, and Lenny White I'd consider better than most (in Weckl's case, any that I've heard) rock drummers. Of course, it all comes down to opinion in the end. I'm just saying, once again, that I think jazz drummers in general play better and more interestingly.
jazzfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote