Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Drummer Ever
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 10:36 PM   #50 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog
On what grounds? Overall maybe, but thats because rock is more accecible and you hear more drummers, therefore the scale goes down.

Rock being an amalgamate of all roots music, it seems that rock drummers, having the ability to do jazz and other styles, would have the ability to outshine jazz only drummers. Neil Peart, Carter Beauford, Dave Grohl, John Bonham, Keith Moon, Mike Portney, Ginger Baker, and Stewart Copeland are great example of drummers who can really take rock from some misbegotten art form that jazz guys and classical musicians snub and make it viable.

Just because Meg White and the guy from AC/DC don't go super techinical doesn't mean:
A.) Their bad
B.) That rocks bad
C.) That its a genre that employees terrible skill-less people on the kit.
^ Word, Meg White is nothing special, however i wouldn't say shes horrible, she does her job appropiately, she keeps the beat suprisingly well for a band that has NO bass player to help add to the beat, she has to do it all by herself, what she plays is so simple a 1 year old can do it, but she manages to keep the rhythm perfectly and can keep up with jack without the asistance of a bassist, which is something i dont think is as easy as it may seem...My point is, she does her job and she gets it RIGHT, she adds perfectly to the white stripes sound, if they had a bassist like Geddy Lee and a drummer like Neil Peart it would just ruin the music completely, they are perfect in Rush but in the White Stripes they would be trying so hard to outshine jack that the music would lose all of its simple beauty and magic.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote