Music Banter - View Single Post - Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) The Fantasy Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #49 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

This is a question for the people who have read A Clash of Kings, but does anyone else feel the writing staff for the TV show has completely mishandled the story arc in the North? While the big event is probably going to happen in the upcoming episode, there was a lot of stuff that happens off screen in the book that hasn't even been mentioned in the show. I don't think I've heard Ramsay Snow's name mentioned, Roose Bolton has only had one minor scene and even then you had to listen real carefully to catch his name, and Meera and Jojen Reed haven't come up to Winterfell yet. I can understand the writers shying away from introducing new characters, but the Reeds are absolutely detrimental to Bran Stark's story and Ramsay Snow needs to be introduced sooner or later to set him up for his role later on in the story. I know we're only halfway through the season but still... it has me a little concerned.

I'm also kind of disappointed that the writers haven't done a lot of showing just how much the war has ravaged the people. Martin spent a lot of time characterizing King's Landing and the Riverlands' people as these refuges who have yet to have a proper meal in months and the building animosity in the city towards the upper class and lords. Bronn told Tyrion that the people despised him, but they're not doing much to actually show it. It's a TV show, you're suppose to show, not tell, or if you must tell at least show a little bit! I don't think it's asking too much to show us how bad the conditions have gotten now that their main food supply is either cut off from the south by the Tyrells or being burned to the ground in the riverlands by the Starks or Lannisters.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote