Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beastie Boys
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #133 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankycaaant View Post
Anything after '84 is considered as hip-hop.
I'm pretty sure that that makes rapping one of their primary functions.

That's like saying Nas is a hip-hop artist, but nobody should listen to what he is saying, because one of his songs contains a Eurythmics sample and that's what we are all really interested in
Einstein once said “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

This might only be reinforcing what Janszoon said, but some artists rise above a genre. And some are shackled by it. In 20 years, Hip hop will have evolved, and what Kanye West is doing will not be considered real hip-hop in the same manner you're not considered BB real hip-hop. But to discredit him because of that would be ridiculous.

Genres used to help us find things at the record shop. They should be a template by which an artist should be judged. You wouldn't say Jimi Hendrix made ****ty Bossa Nova. No one complains that AC/DC was the worst Reggae band in history. That's hyperbole, but you can see my point.

If you say "well the BB don't do X so they're over hyped", you set up the precedent to poorly judge every band on the planet. Is the finished product something you enjoy, or no? Thats all you can ask.

Furthermore, if you're going to talk about the hype, you can't disregard what the hype was about. No one ever said they were the greatest rappers alive. Its a package deal. The package got the hype. Again, what you're saying is "I don't get why Bob Dylan is so beloved - he can't sing for ****."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
As a total side note here, is My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy actually worth checking out if I've hated everything else I've ever heard by Kanye West?
Why did you hate everything else? I'd say yes, but that depends on what you didn't like about KW prior.