Music Banter - View Single Post - Can you teach yourself to sing?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
VoiceX
Groupie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
So my question is, can you teach yourself to sing? Can you improve on your vocals purely by practising yourself without any 'professional' training? Because honestly, I'm way too busy to go to singing lessons or anything, finding time to practice piano/bass/guitar is hard enough
If you ask me, than yeah I think so. I`m also a musician which happens to be displeased with his voice. Hell. Who am I kidding? its horrid (according to my standards). Like...damn. Also. My work takes up 99.9% of my life. I have no life and no time to start learning how to sing. Never had the time, and I probably never will (unless I land a record deal!). However... practicing makes a HUGE difference. Before I started practicing my voice it was unbearable. Dogs would bark, flowers would wilt, birds would fall from the sky, the works... but after I started really practicing, and putting time and effort, I can safely say that my voice sounds reasonable if the music is loud enough (did I mention that I play metal? get the joke? ). Look. I`m being a little sarcastic, but its true. If your like me (if you insist on singing, regardless of the amount of car crashes you may cause), than practicing is a MUST, and it does make a difference. Believe it.

Besides...
I try to lie to myself and take comfort in the idea that most people, even known musicians, don't have THAT much of a great singing voice, and that its all in their production. Oh sure I know its not entirely true... but, hey! it gets me throw the night!