Music Banter - View Single Post - Bass Guitarist
Thread: Bass Guitarist
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
Didn't check this for while.

Honestly, the mix as a whole is pretty poor there. There's no definition to anything and your lowered guitar thing is indistinguishable from what happens when you just mix a regular guitar with the bass whacked all the way up. Its muddy all over.

On top of that, your kick drum is actually so quiet in the mix that its barely audible even during the lower break.

And I'm not saying this just because I don't like using lowered bass tones from guitars. I'm saying this because that genuinely IS a pretty poor overall mix, and a big part of that is that your kick drum is too quiet (and too soft sounding, there's no impact to it, it soudns too much like WHUF and not enough like THUD and you've got way too much bass in the mix on everything, which is robbing everything of attack and definition. If you compare what you've done there, with something like, say, this:

10. Pet - A Perfect Circle - YouTube

You can hear that despite the mix being just as, if not more, bass heavy, than what you've made there, nothing is stepping on anything else. You can clearly seperate the bass from the guitars, and the guitars are doing their job in holding down the MIDRANGE of the mix, where they SHOULD be.

Because of that, the mix has been handled properly. You'll find very swiftly if you hang around with anyone who mixes properly, that one of the basics of mixing guitars and bass together is actually to run a High Pass filter on the guitars at about 100Hz, to remove the low end flub inherent in the instrument when playing powerchords.

Why only powerchords? Easy. There's a shared harmonic between a note and its 5th. When playing the two together, a beat frequency is created with a frequency exactly half of the root funadmental. That means when you play powerchords you can actually hear a tone an octave below what you're playing.

That ruins mixes very quickly, because the guitar starts to step on frequency ranges the bass should be covering with its own timbre. The bass of the whole mix becomes very undefined and in some cases even starts to show signs of chorusing as the instrument that SHOULD be handling the low end, fights for it with the instrument whose actual fundamentals should be in the midrange.

And thats why getting a proper bass is way better than using mock bass tones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote