Music Banter - View Single Post - Stone Temple Pilots or Pearl Jam
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #118 (permalink)
FRED HALE SR.
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
Good god that was gross. It sounds like when King Crimson tried recording ballads in the early 80s, except somehow even cheesier.

Sure this is a different style but not a single tune I ever heard come from the STP camp or any of its offshoots even comes close to capturing the raw emotion and energy as this simple straight ahead rocker.

Ultimately I think it comes down to personal preference, I like listening to rock music to get hyped up, I like feeling the rush of blood through my body as a result of the rawness and passion within the recorded performance, the sensation of all the hairs on my arms standing on edge, the entirety of my being lighting up and paying attention. That's just not something I get from a group like STP. But holy crap is it ever hard for me to not bounce off the walls when I hear something like State of Love and Trust.
Great pick for a video Dave. This was my favorite song off the Singles Soundtrack back in the day. STP comes across like a parody act to me, and i find Scott Weiland to be a semi poser. I also gotta hand it to PJ for some of their ballad type songs also, my fave probably being I AM MINE. I think there is something so touching and encompassing about the lyrics. They talk to me in a way that STP could never do.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...wQSQbg&cad=rja
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote