Music Banter - View Single Post - Drumming lolz
Thread: Drumming lolz
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

I've had several funny/strange drumming experiences.
The first was that when I was a child, I wanted to play drums so badly that I made my own kit out of the following items:

Kick drum - Large box that I would hit with my foot.
Snare - Old cookie tin with a bunch of screws, nails, and bolts in it.
Hihat - A bundle of silverware loosely banded together
Toms - Plastic tupperware of various sizes
Ride/Crash - Large metal pot cover.
Sticks - Sticks from the yard.

I played that thing for over a year before my dad finally felt bad enough for me to find a cheap deal on a real set.

Another drumming scenario I found hilarious and strange was when I was growing up in church, we had those worship teams with the full band setup and everything, and when I got old enough, they started letting my do fill-ins on Wednesday service and when I proved myself, the Sunday services, then full-time. Well, one Saturday night a friend and I did a bunch of acid and I completely forgot that I had to play for the Sunday morning service.
So I was just starting to come down by the time I was getting on the drums...
Let's just say that timing and LSD don't go together well. And my sticks felt like rubber, and the skins felt all saggy and weird. Thankfully I was no longer having open-eye visuals, but I did feel like a complete ass hole for being in church on acid...

Another scenario was when I started playing in Punk bands and all that. The band I was in was a Punk/Ska band and we were fortunate enough to land a gig opening up for an Australian punk band called Phrenzal Rhomb (Less than Jake was the headliner), and we got to smoke this huge blunt with Phrenzal's drummer before we opened for them. I was so baked that when I was adjusting my throne, I fell backwards off the stage (the kit was situated in the rear behind the frontman position in the middle) and I got laughed at pretty heartily.

Another time, when I was stationed in Germany, circa 2007ish, a metal band I was drumming for had a show at a little pub opening up for an AC/DC tribute band (IC/DC) that we played with quite a bit. Well I had a friend's kit at the time and his cymbal stands were horrible, and every time I'd hit the crash that was on it, the whole thing would fall, so we had to get a friend to sit there and hold the stand for me the whole show, as I destroyed the poor guy's hearing. Speaking of that, I need to get that video back! Poor Ferny.

There are more stories, but this could get a bit long-winded.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote