Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
Default Drumming lolz

So I'm a drummer - I play for my church.

I was jamming the second song when suddenly I realize my bass drum wasn't making a noise. I look down and the spring that lets the pedal bounce back to be hit again had broken. Lol! I looked like an idiot sitting there trying to fix it, then to make matters worse my dad came to help too - all this while everyone else carried on playing/singing!

So, anyone else had any strange/funny drumming moments?
BradTheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,035
Default

This takes a bit of explanation. For my birthday, a very handy buddy of mind made me some light sticks that I desperately needed. He got a bunch of very thin pieces of wood from the local hardware shop and taped them tightly together, giving me two pairs of very unique sticks. They weren't quite brushes, but they were nice and quiet, which I needed, because I have always had trouble staying quiet while playing, especially while playing fast. Anyway, to the story.

I was in the middle of playing with my old group and playing a very, very, very fast song. My sticks were quite beat up, and as I was playing, I was literally watching them shred while desperately trying to keep playing with what I had left. One completely disintegrated so I played with the other stick and my hand. Then the other one shattered and I ruined the song by playing a hands-only drum solo and kicking over my kick. It was pretty sweet.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
I sleep in your hat
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Vic. Aus.
Posts: 1,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
I was in the middle of playing with my old group and playing a very, very, very fast song. My sticks were quite beat up, and as I was playing, I was literally watching them shred while desperately trying to keep playing with what I had left. One completely disintegrated so I played with the other stick and my hand. Then the other one shattered and I ruined the song by playing a hands-only drum solo and kicking over my kick. It was pretty sweet.
That does sound funny.



BTW love the new avatar.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Partying on the inside
 
Freebase Dali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,329
Default

I've had several funny/strange drumming experiences.
The first was that when I was a child, I wanted to play drums so badly that I made my own kit out of the following items:

Kick drum - Large box that I would hit with my foot.
Snare - Old cookie tin with a bunch of screws, nails, and bolts in it.
Hihat - A bundle of silverware loosely banded together
Toms - Plastic tupperware of various sizes
Ride/Crash - Large metal pot cover.
Sticks - Sticks from the yard.

I played that thing for over a year before my dad finally felt bad enough for me to find a cheap deal on a real set.


Another drumming scenario I found hilarious and strange was when I was growing up in church, we had those worship teams with the full band setup and everything, and when I got old enough, they started letting my do fill-ins on Wednesday service and when I proved myself, the Sunday services, then full-time. Well, one Saturday night a friend and I did a bunch of acid and I completely forgot that I had to play for the Sunday morning service.
So I was just starting to come down by the time I was getting on the drums...
Let's just say that timing and LSD don't go together well. And my sticks felt like rubber, and the skins felt all saggy and weird. Thankfully I was no longer having open-eye visuals, but I did feel like a complete ass hole for being in church on acid...

Another scenario was when I started playing in Punk bands and all that. The band I was in was a Punk/Ska band and we were fortunate enough to land a gig opening up for an Australian punk band called Phrenzal Rhomb (Less than Jake was the headliner), and we got to smoke this huge blunt with Phrenzal's drummer before we opened for them. I was so baked that when I was adjusting my throne, I fell backwards off the stage (the kit was situated in the rear behind the frontman position in the middle) and I got laughed at pretty heartily.

Another time, when I was stationed in Germany, circa 2007ish, a metal band I was drumming for had a show at a little pub opening up for an AC/DC tribute band (IC/DC) that we played with quite a bit. Well I had a friend's kit at the time and his cymbal stands were horrible, and every time I'd hit the crash that was on it, the whole thing would fall, so we had to get a friend to sit there and hold the stand for me the whole show, as I destroyed the poor guy's hearing. Speaking of that, I need to get that video back! Poor Ferny.

There are more stories, but this could get a bit long-winded.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Another scenario was when I started playing in Punk bands and all that. The band I was in was a Punk/Ska band and we were fortunate enough to land a gig opening up for an Australian punk band called Phrenzal Rhomb (Less than Jake was the headliner), and we got to smoke this huge blunt with Phrenzal's drummer before we opened for them. I was so baked that when I was adjusting my throne, I fell backwards off the stage (the kit was situated in the rear behind the frontman position in the middle) and I got laughed at pretty heartily.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Sounds like my first "set". Was a bunch of homemade plywood pads arranged like a real set. The heads were old mouse pads from dialup internet companies.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Groupie
 
ShowScoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Default

Was in marching band all through junior high and high school. We had a national winning drumline. Snare player would could do singles with one hand. (have it on video with some other cool videos) i was never a percussionist, but i loved what they did because of what great quality and how clean it was. One of my favorite moments though was a School Rally where the Drumline performed their show(not like the movie drumline, we put them to shame) and the snare players had a solo and one of the players dropped his stick. Youre not supposed to pick it up, so he continued on playing only the right hand lol
__________________
Please don't advertise other sites here
ShowScoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Piotr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I've had several funny/strange drumming experiences.
The first was that when I was a child, I wanted to play drums so badly that I made my own kit out of the following items:

Kick drum - Large box that I would hit with my foot.
Snare - Old cookie tin with a bunch of screws, nails, and bolts in it.
Hihat - A bundle of silverware loosely banded together
Toms - Plastic tupperware of various sizes
Ride/Crash - Large metal pot cover.
Sticks - Sticks from the yard.

I played that thing for over a year before my dad finally felt bad enough for me to find a cheap deal on a real set.


Another drumming scenario I found hilarious and strange was when I was growing up in church, we had those worship teams with the full band setup and everything, and when I got old enough, they started letting my do fill-ins on Wednesday service and when I proved myself, the Sunday services, then full-time. Well, one Saturday night a friend and I did a bunch of acid and I completely forgot that I had to play for the Sunday morning service.
So I was just starting to come down by the time I was getting on the drums...
Let's just say that timing and LSD don't go together well. And my sticks felt like rubber, and the skins felt all saggy and weird. Thankfully I was no longer having open-eye visuals, but I did feel like a complete ass hole for being in church on acid...

Another scenario was when I started playing in Punk bands and all that. The band I was in was a Punk/Ska band and we were fortunate enough to land a gig opening up for an Australian punk band called Phrenzal Rhomb (Less than Jake was the headliner), and we got to smoke this huge blunt with Phrenzal's drummer before we opened for them. I was so baked that when I was adjusting my throne, I fell backwards off the stage (the kit was situated in the rear behind the frontman position in the middle) and I got laughed at pretty heartily.

Another time, when I was stationed in Germany, circa 2007ish, a metal band I was drumming for had a show at a little pub opening up for an AC/DC tribute band (IC/DC) that we played with quite a bit. Well I had a friend's kit at the time and his cymbal stands were horrible, and every time I'd hit the crash that was on it, the whole thing would fall, so we had to get a friend to sit there and hold the stand for me the whole show, as I destroyed the poor guy's hearing. Speaking of that, I need to get that video back! Poor Ferny.

There are more stories, but this could get a bit long-winded.

lolz
Piotr_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 4,945
Default

The phrase, "A picture is worth a thousand words" would apply here:

Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,035
Default

Looks about like my first kit. My crash literally sounded like a tin pan.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.