Music Banter - View Single Post - Biggest Decline In a Career?
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

I hate to comment in a thread like this on a band I seriously love, but for me The Kinks had a very musically troubled time after Lola. At least they still had some great songs, if not as consistent.

Sales - '71-76 When they moved to RCA/the Munswell Hillbillies album to Soap Opera (although the last was a light rebound)/the lack of any serious chart positions in The US that kept them a strong concert draw proven by their return to Stateside stages in '69. The album that kept their name alive in cult music circles in the States was excellent Kink Kronicles collection.

Good Music - The RCA era: In my opinion, the quality dropped especially with Preservation Act 2. They bounced back a little on the albums after that, but you know what I mean.

Onto the Arista era, there was a comeback in the US chart albums chart and the occasional return to form. Sadly, sales-wise they slumped with the great "Do It Again" single in '84.

Sales and Good Music Part 2: Then, it was onto MCA (Remember Think Visual? UK Jive was OK, but Think Visual had a thrashing from critics) and then Columbia with some flashes of a return to form that were out-weighed by not so inspiring moments from what I heard. They still performed great live shows, though.

At least the To the Bone live set was a nice way to stop. The continuous collections of their classics will always keep their name alive, thankfully.

Here's a simple one: Kiss. "Gods of Thunder" in the 70's who even made a killed Disco record in "I Was Made for Loving You." Through that decade, they were crass, dumb, and fun. I grew up with their music.

Then the Limo turned into a Pumpkin with Unmasked in 1980. I like the fact that they tried to go the concept/Serious Music route with (Music From) The Elder - and "I" really is a highlight - and finished up their first Make Up era with Creatures of the Night, but when they took off the makeup...

Yeah, 1983's "Lick It Up" was the grand announcement that they were back, and their records will always chart, but they are not really as remembered. The 80's was an over-produced era filled with calculated moves and The Early 90's continued the slide.

While the latest album had the make-up, it's basically down to the live shows to hear those 70's songs in their natural element. live, loud, with a lot of theatrics.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote