Music Banter - View Single Post - Game of Thrones (Song of Ice and Fire) The Fantasy Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM   #140 (permalink)
PoorOldPo
Blue Pill Oww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
If he hasnt at least seen s1, it's no big deal as season 1 is almost word for word the same as the book.
Exactly. Although there is something great about seeing the book come to life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Nope, I plan on watching the show after I read the books. I doubt the 6th book will be released by the time I finish the first 5, so I might start then. I'm kind of anal about separating books from TV/movies, but it looks like I might cave because of how long Martin takes to write the books. I do plan on watching it though.

A friend just told me this the other day and said that the second season turned him off the show a bit. How much do they stray from the book in the second season?

It strays a small bit. Most of the straying I can understand. What you have to take into account is:

1) The audience, sometimes the book doesn't translate as well on screen and things need to be changed to make it seem more plausible or for it to look better.

2) The budget, some changes need to be made because they simply cannot afford the vast scale of battles and scenes for, what is at the end of the day, a tv budget.

3) The amount of material in the book, they need to trim things down to fit everything into a 10 hour film of 10 episodes.
PoorOldPo is offline   Reply With Quote