Music Banter - View Single Post - Proposal for a minumum age limit
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
No, I just think that if we allow "underage" people to join and participate, then perhaps we should be a lot more careful what we say, as a jokey, off-the-cuff remark, particularly a sexual one (or one that could be interpreted as such) could end up getting us into trouble.

If you're in a room with a lot of kids you know to watch your language and so forth. If you're in a forum where you know there may be kids (or at least, people under say 16) you should be able to conduct yourself accordingly. A chance remark, taken up the wrong way, and mentioned to someone underage, could have for instance their parents getting at you online.

It's a valid point, and a real problem. If there was some way to incorporate birthdate or age in the profile, that would be a way of at least defending ourselves. Saying "I didn't know he/she was only 12/13/14" won't really wash: you'll be asked does your forum allow these ages, and if yes, then why aren't you more mindful that there are young, impressionable minds in your midst? I can see it happening...

BTW I had a spring clean last month and threw out all my skeletons. Well, nearly them all: couldn't let old "Repressed Sexual Urges" (or as I call him, Boney) go!
That reminded me of the Red Dwarf episode where they discover the planet that changes itself according to the persons mind, and it has gravestones for all of rimmers positive personality traits, and when they died.

Unfortunately, can't find a pic, so here, have this heartbreaking reminder of what once was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!