Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums That Were Considered Huge Flops That You Actually Enjoy...
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #64 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

The Colourfield - Virgins and Philistines (1985) - focusing on the US version which I own.

After The Specials and Fun Boy Three, Terry Hall took his music world into something of an Acoustic Mid 60's Pop, dashed in with some Jazz and Lounge - Beat Music for The 80's. In short, something that was pretty much out of step with most of time with the Terry Hall's unique edge topping it off. It kind of fitted in with a Mid 80's Alternative that let some Mod and Jazz styles in (When Mod was really a cult happening that was not heard of much), but it was very tough to sell beyond that cult, making this a huge disappointment sales-wise in the minds of the industry. I'm sure fans of both The Specials and Fun Boy Three were possibly split, especially those in The US more used to the classic aggressive Ska of The Specials' first album or Fun Boy Three's style.

Today, however, more know about this album, especially fans of the world of Hall as well as bands like (insert any 60's Pop influenced band from The 90's and 2K's here).

Hall is with Toby Lyons and Karl Shale from 2-Toneers the Swinging Cats, with a little help from Pete de Freitas (from Echo and The Bunnymen).

The album went into the UK Top 20 briefly, with only one major hit in "Thinking of You," but it strictly went straight to cult-land shortly after. In the US, the album was slightly altered, featuring their cover of the 1967 ? and the Mysterians single "Can't Get Enough of You, Baby" as the lead off track that was not on the UK album (yes, it was the song Smash Mouth turned into a hit some time back). The songs left off of the UK edition were on an EP released a little later in The US. Still, with a focus on the more 60's Psych Pop side from UK singles including their fine self titled debut A-Side, it still could not whip up enough interest in the Alternative scene of the day.

The songs used on The US version...

A song on both versions - a "Windmills of Your Mind" sounding classic, a single that was promoting the album, but sadly was not a hit.

I tried to get into their second album, but I'm going to have to hear it again for a modern judgement. Still, I applaud this album.

I was about to nominate More Specials as well, but as it was a hit in The UK and earned a lot of raves everywhere else, it may not have been that much of a flop.

Last edited by Screen13; 06-17-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote