Music Banter - View Single Post - Trout Mask Replica vs. The Velvet Underground & Nico
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #54 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chives View Post
I voted for Trout Mask Replica because it had the bigger album cover picture in the original post and I am easily influenced.

Actually, I voted TMR because it just had a much bigger impact upon me on first, and every, listen. I've always liked Underground and Nico and I listened to it before I touched Beefheart, but it sadly never changed my world. I mean, I rarely get through both sides of Underground and Nico before I get bored and switch to another record, which probably means I just don't know the songs well enough to enjoy them consistently but I also never had that problem with the Beef so he still wins out.
Ha Ha ! You should never judge an album by the size of its cover.
I suppose it`s equally unfair to judge an album by its opening lines:
Lou Reed: Sunday morning, praise the dawning - a feeble, contrived rhyme that only a 14-year-old should be proud of.
Beefheart: My smile is stuck. I cannot go back to your Frownland - the unusual use of simple words in blank verse highlights just how conventional Lou Reed`s writing was.

Also, Chives, don`t rule out the possibility that you get bored because some of the music is boring. For an album that`s regarded as avantgarde, it has some surprisingly dull and dated elements.
This track, for instance, was just an unexceptional filler on an record that the Stones had made two years prior to the Velvets reworking it :-