Music Banter - View Single Post - Artists you used to like but no longer do.
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #78 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 View Post
No the Talking Heads thing is complicated. It was like a bad break-up - kind of embarrassing. Their first four albums meant a lot to me - they were so very different than anything else at the time and where I lived, people just couldn't tolerate that drastic a change. Of course, it was High School, when people tend to be at their most intolerant, and while everyone else was listening to Foreigner and Journey, I was digging songs like 'Pulled Up' and 'Artists Only'. I took a lot of flack for it, almost getting into fights, and it became a badge of honor.

The Heads showed explosive growth over the course of four albums, converging in the one-two punch of 'Remain in Light' and the 'Bush of Ghosts' album - it's hard to convey how impactful those records were. And then to follow that up with 'Speaking in Tongues' - I know that is the record where most fans came on board with the Heads, but for fans like myself, that was a big sign of retreat - like they suddenly decided to be just another pop band from then on. I didn't get it and I felt betrayed! Kind of silly to think about it now, but when you're young, you can get worked up about these things.
^ Similar thing happened to me; at high school I was "that guy who likes Trout Mask Replica" but a couple of years later Beefheart embarrassed me by coming up with Bluejeans And Moonbeams.

From what I`ve read here, I`m lucky that the era of Linkin/Biskit/Madonna passed me by completely, but as everyone is confessing here, I should admit that, although I was never a fan, I do remember singing this song to myself as I walked to school:-

With the wisdom of hindsight, I`m prepared to conceed that that may have been an error of taste on my part- my defense being that I was only 10 yrs old at the time.

In fact, the post I most identified with was Alfred`s :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I used to like classic rock in general, nowadays even The Who and Pink Floyd don't get a whole lot of play.
When you`ve been hearing classic rock off-and-on for forty years, even the best gets boring !