Music Banter - View Single Post - 'Dark Knight Rises' screening shooting in suburban Denver (12 dead, 38 wounded)
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #103 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyrothath View Post
Don't forget though that they are also the states with the most gun restrictions, we might be doing more harm than good in those more populated states, notice that crime has gone up over the years as guns have been outlawed in those states, even as the population barely changes, but there is also more laws to break, more things are illegal in today's society..

Example; the drug cartels were a result of the war on drugs, the war on drugs and prohibition turned more people into hardened criminals than it did doing anything good for them, rather than having family, friends and churches solve these social medical problems. We send more people to jail than any other country..

When you look at the charts, California hit a peak of 4,000 in the early 90's and from there crime went down at a steady pace.. I don't think it makes much of a difference if you outlaw guns or not, people will still commit crimes, strap bombs to themselves, or get them smuggled in.. Tons of people were killed in a Norway bombing, it can happen anywhere..
I disagree that it doesn't make a difference, and statistics from places such as the U.K. certainly suggest a correlation between violent crimes and gun control. Yes, criminals will still manage to get a hold on guns (bordering Mexico being a real problem in this scenario), but it'll be a lot more difficult to get your hands on a weapon, making it less likely for 'spur of the moment' type criminals to actually go through with their actions.

And like I was talking about earlier, in an ironic way being unarmed is safer in a lot of situations as opposed to being armed. When you get tragedies like this that happen, you realize that people had the opportunity to carry a concealed weapon, yet still didn't, so the whole supposed positive of concealed gun laws doesn't seem to be very practical in these types of situations anyways.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote