Music Banter - View Single Post - Biggest Debate in Rock N Roll History ?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #161 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger ? View Post
Janzsoon was asking about their popularity and asking are they really the worldwide phenomenon that they're made out to be.

Well, more people in the world own Come On Over by Shania Twain than their so-called magnum opus Sgt Pepper.

I thought it was worth mentioning.
I Sgt Pepper, - I don't own Come On Over by Shania Twain.

You are comparing an album that from the late 1990's to an album made in the late 60's. You can only say that Come On Over has more recorded unit sold not that more people in the world own it. How would you know how many people own it? How many Sgt Pepper albums were copied from one person to another in the USSR and Eastern Bloc because they couldn't buy it.

Come On Over was relased during a time when when more people in the world owned audio equipment than people who owned record players at the end of the 60's. And CD sales were probably more accurately tallied compared to vinyl sales and digital downloads. So they are some things to consider when comparing the two album figrures.

We are talking about an album that was create on a three track (that's how Sir George Martin discribed it) that outsold hundreds of thousands of albums that were recorded on digital equipment. An album that outsold all previous releases by any other artist before it. If you look at the list do you see any album recorded before 1967 that broke 20 million units sold? List of best-selling albums - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The album came near the end of The Beatles career, at that time when they released the album it wasn't supported by a tour Sgt Pepper sold that many just on the reputation of the band.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote