Music Banter - View Single Post - Biggest Debate in Rock N Roll History ?
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #168 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger ? View Post
The eastern bloc has been open over 20 years I don't think you can use that argument.
So we should ignore the fact that the Sgt Pepper album was desired to be own, but had to be copied from one fan to the next and subsequently no information exist how many people owned a copied for the 20-some years that the Eastern Bloc been closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger ? View Post
And I think you'll find that Sgt Pepper was in shops available for the past 45 odd years I don't really see how you can use owning more audio equipment in the 90s argument. If people want it it's there.

More people wanted Shania Twain.
No accounting for taste but that's how it is.
The bulk of sales happens when an album is released. How well Sgt Pepper sold was limited to the structure of market at that time with limit availabity for vinyl to be played on and other factors. 30 years later it is bigger market, more of a global market. Shania Twain had the ability to sell more because more people were able to play her CDs. The whole argument is like how do you convert a thousand pounds per annum circa 17th century England to be equivalent to today's Euro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think the point you're making here kind of undermines itself. If it's unfair to compare an album from the 90s to an album from the 60s, then how is it fair to compare an album from the 60s to what came before? Keep in mind that in 1967 the whole emphasis on LPs over singles was still a really new concept so Sgt. Pepper's didn't exactly have much of a legacy to compete with.
And your argument undermines itself too, because it was The Beatles that help make switch from 45's singles to LP albums possible especially with the Sgt Pepper album for the Rock/Pop market. Some musicologist believe The Beatles help created a new paradigm of AOR with Sgt Pepper but to you it gets nullified because there was nothing before it that could compete with it or compare to it.

I always thought albums were important to the Jazz and Classical community as well.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote