Music Banter - View Single Post - Biggest Debate in Rock N Roll History ?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 PM   #170 (permalink)
joy_circumcision
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
The bulk of sales happens when an album is released. How well Sgt Pepper sold was limited to the structure of market at that time with limit availabity for vinyl to be played on and other factors. 30 years later it is bigger market, more of a global market. Shania Twain had the ability to sell more because more people were able to play her CDs. The whole argument is like how do you convert a thousand pounds per annum circa 17th century England to be equivalent to today's Euro?
Just a question - are the sales of Sgt Pepper including CD and vinyl reissues? Because if so, The Beatles got to tap into the same global market Shania Twain did PLUS have twenty-five years or so before that global market to get a nice head start, and she still out-sold them. But if it just includes like initial release or a certain like statute of limitations on what counts then I can buy your argument fine.

Also, just a joke: I think you'd want to convert a thousand pounds per annum circa 17th century into today's pound unless you were trying to travel from 17th century England to modern France or Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I always thought albums were important to the Jazz and Classical community as well.
LP format was actually never that big a deal to those communities until it became the norm for music listening and they had to change with the times. I can't remember what article I read on it, but basically most of the classical community never caught on until CDs, but jazz surely had a nice little LP takeoff when LPs did become the standard music-buying format.
joy_circumcision is offline   Reply With Quote