Music Banter - View Single Post - Post your baroque music videos here
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #65 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishsella View Post
Did this a few days ago as my leaver's piece. Hope you guys enjoy it. Do bear in mind this was done live at school so do excuse! xx
I listened to your leaver's piece when you posted it, and since you will probably never return you may never read this, but I still wanted to say that you sang Nulla in mundo pax very sweetly and beautifully, Sarah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
little known german composer August Kühnel, who compose for viola di gamba, could easily compared to such contemporaries as Marin Marais or Forqueray.

^ It took me a minute to realize that the musicians are playing instruments with six strings. Now I know what a viola da gamba (or viol) is, thanks to you.
Viol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And now...

R E C O R D E R M U S I C

Telemann - Suite in A Minor

Impressive recorder playing!

Telemann - Suite in A Minor TWV55:a2 (excerpts) - YouTube

Last month I began learning (or relearning) to play the nice little wooden soprano recorder that my parents got me when I was five in Germany and that managed to survive its trip back to the U.S. and many years in storage. My goal: to play well enough so that I can join my dad in his recorder quartet as a fellow recorder player rather than a violinist. (Our group is currently four recorders and one violin, an unusual quartet.)

So my next 100 posts in this thread may be of recorder music. Just wanted to warn all you Baroque fans out there!

ABOUT GEORG PHILIPP TELEMANN

I am impressed that Telemann taught himself how to play instruments and started composing against his family's wishes when he was a child.

Below is a quote that describes Telemann's determination and early clandastine life as a composer. I was amused by his mother's paranoid fear that cultivating Telemann's interest in music would start him down the slippery slope that ends in the worst of imagined professions: monkey trainer! I like how Telemann persevered in doing what he loved and was able to steep his long life in music (and also poetry, which he adored).

Quote:

He [Telemann] was not yet twelve years of age when he began to compose. The Cantor whom he assisted wrote music. The child did not fail to read his scores in secret; and he used to think how glorious it was to make up such beautiful things. He too began to write music, without confiding the fact to anyone; he had his compositions submitted to the Cantor under a pseudonym and had the joy of hearing them praised—and better still, sung —in church and even in the streets. He grew bolder. An operatic libretto came his way; he set it to music. 0, Happiness! The opera was performed in a theater and the young author even filled one of the parts!

"Ah! but what a storm I drew upon my head with my opera!" he writes. "The enemies of music came in a host to see my mother and represented to her that I should become a charlatan, a tightrope walker, a mummer, a trainer of monkeys, etc. ... if music were not prohibited! No sooner said than done; they took from me my notes, my instruments, and with them half my life."
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote