Music Banter - View Single Post - Post your baroque music videos here
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #66 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Continuing my excursion through Baroque recorder music, I present...

J.S. Bach -- "Sheep May Safely Graze" Aria from Cantata 208

In Bach's famous piece, you can hear two recorders tootling along happily in the background, evoking images of pastoral meadows.

A website about "Sheep" says, "That cantata is seldom performed today, but one of its movements--an aria for soprano with two obbligato recorders titled Schäfe können sicher weichen ("Sheep May Safely Graze")--has become some of the most famous music Bach ever wrote. The aria makes a point that would have appealed to the Duke [for whom Bach wrote the cantata]: sheep (the citizens) are safe when they are guarded by a good shepherd (the prince)." La Jolla Music Society - JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH: Sheep May Safely Graze

If you are interested in the political lyrics of "Sheep May Safely Graze," you can read about them here: http://www.musicbanter.com/classical...tml#post770730

Amusingly, the person who posted this video (below) on YouTube entitled it "Authentic Period Sheep May Safely Graze," about which some whippersnapper commented:

Quote:
"I love the 'authentic period sheep.' I am so sick of hearing this piece with modern sheep. The music really comes alive when you use the proper animal. Myself, I prefer German Bergschaf sheep, although I have a recording of this piece with some Devon Longwoolled that I really enjoy. Intonation is always a problem with period sheep, but the musicians in your recording are impeccable. The textures are warm and comforting without being too scratchy."
Ah, those quirky lovers of classical music.

Enjoy the authentic period sheep:

Authentic Period Sheep May Safely Graze BWV208 Hunt Cantata - YouTube
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote