Music Banter - View Single Post - Best Band: 90s Seattle Era.
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #652 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Why do I feel like Ive just been scolded by father! he, he..On a serious note though, I understand what your saying. If defining mainstream as being more Pop, than Rock orientated. Then so be. Nirvana knocked MJ down the charts. If you were listening to mainstream and watching videos back then, you always had Nirvana there. Didnt Nirvana help bring a new form of Rock to the mainstream audience? By the way Dave, Great insight/Post.
I think the point being made here, is that none of these bands were mainstream or had visions of ever being mainstream (with the exception maybe of Pearl Jam, but that's a seperate issue). They just fell victims of marketing and the big labels. It was almost like, the powers to be deciding that they wanted to exploit these bands for a buck as the niche was there. You have to remember that there was a power vacum at the middle to heavier end of the rock spectrum at this time. The popularity of the heavier AOR bands had gone, hair metal had played its course and thrash metal was just too agressive for non-metalheads, so grunge was seen as a viable alternative from the alternative rock genre that could find mainstream appeal.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History