Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #539 (permalink)
Chives
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock N' Roll Clown View Post
If you hesitate between Blood On The Tracks and Self-Portrait, I'd strongly advise you to go for Blood On The Tracks first. One of the very best Dylan albums.
Oh, I've heard both Blood on the Tracks and Self-Portrait before, and I've been looking for Blood on the Tracks for a while now. It's just that most copies of Blood are more expensive than they should be or are in trashed condition, while I have the option to get Self-Portrait at a decent price at the moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
Self-Portrait is hardly essential, but it's erm interesting
Exactly! I've heard it a couple times and it's fascinating. That version of the Boxer...wow. And there is just so much content on Self-Portrait that it's just worth hearing every now and again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
New Morning and Blood on the Tracks are big missing pieces of my vinyl collection. Two of my favorite albums. I think New Morning is highly overrated. "Sign on the Window" is one my favorite all time Dylan songs.
Obviously you meant underrated! I don't even remember that song, honestly. Half of that album I basically don't remember. I just throw it on and it sounds pleasant. Perhaps another listen is in order!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
You`re doing remarkably well with your collection, chives ! I have( or had) 13 vinyl albums and 6 cds, but I had the luxury of buying them over the years, as they were released. I still remember the dilemma of buying Oh Mercy
, which broke my run of vinyls with a cd.
Recently I've stopped buying albums on CD unless that's the only way the album is available. Otherwise I just listen to cd rips until I can get a copy. So if anything breaks my run of Dylan on vinyl, it'd probably be Bootleg Series 1-3. It's CD-only as far as I can tell. Some of the Bootleg Series have been released on vinyl (the concerts?), but frankly they are too expensive for the content you get so I don't plan on bothering. I love Dylan but I'm not going for 100% complete discography collection here.

Sudden boom of activity in here. Wowzers.