Music Banter - View Single Post - Muse - The 2nd Law
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

The most positive thing I can say about this album was, again, that it isn't as bad as I had feared and that there is at least the possibility that it will be a grower.

One of the main reasons I dislike it is because I just don't buy into it. I've always struggled to buy into a band who attempt huge, grand, theatrical music if I find it nothing but cheesy and pretentious. This is, of course, due to simply personal taste. I also don't always take too kindly to what I see as a band taking an easy, safe step into following a current trend or playing to whatever is popular to capitalise on a thriving market financially.

To me this record smells of something a band produce at a safe, secure time in their career. A band who are scratching an itch to perhaps try something big, something grand, something theatric and think that 'now is the time' to take a risk on it. It's a very ambitious album and I also question the decision to use this album to try both something of this scale and something so familiar, so safe and so trendy such as commercial dubstep.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote