Music Banter - View Single Post - Lil Reese beats up girl.
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:02 AM   #105 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
It has the potential to undermine society it such "pick[ing] on" goes against how that society is set up. All hierarchical societies are based on exploiting the weak, whether those within their own society (see slavery) or those without (see imperialism).

This is why notions that the Romans (or any other ancient civilization, really) had some sort of universal compassion is absurd. Consider that violence in these societies often had an economic role (such as in imperialism & slavery), as well as a cultural component - such as in the coliseum, for example.
The Romans started around 753 BC and we are now in 2012, man has come a long way in most aspects, so the above argument is redundant regarding the issues at hand. But I do guess the average Roman may well have had more human compassion than you.

Quote:
Of course democracies sanction violence against their own. How would you characterize what happens to prisoners as anything but violent? Or do people cease to be part of the population the moment they are incarcerated?
It's funny how I raised several focused points with you and the only response that you can think of, is violence by the state against prisoners! Also you seems to have the wrong end of the stick regarding incarceration as well, as it's is commonly known today especially in Europe, that prisons are more like holiday camps due to prisoner freedoms, reduced serving times and the leniency of the prison service. I guess if prisons were like in "Midnight Express" "Cool Hand Luke" and the "Shawshank Redemption" then you would have a point.

Of course prisoners don't cease to be part of the population once they are incarcerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm really not being his "public defender". He just happens to have an unrelated point about the police. I only even brought it up because someone asked about it.
It's certainly great you being his public defender, but I doub't he appreciates it.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote