Music Banter - View Single Post - Prince
Thread: Prince
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #87 (permalink)
Chives
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock N' Roll Clown View Post
First, I'm glad you are interested in him. On the other hand, you got to be really into his work to enjoy the first two albums. Dirty Mind is good, you'll like Controversy, too. And then it starts: All of his 80s masterpieces are as good as 1999 and Purple Rain. You'll love all of them. After Diamonds and Pearls (1991) he gets a little worse because he becomes a ''slave'' to his label and fills the albums like Come and The Black album with whatever comes to his mind just to finish the contract (there is some good stuff in these albums, though). Then, the second half of the 90s is quite better. The beginning of the 2000s is strange with the jazzy Rainbow Children and 3 instrumental albums. In 2006 he's back on the top with 3121 and since then he has pretty good stuff, too. What is more, in this moment he has TONS (around 500) of unreleased songs, so we are going to listen to many more good music of his.
Yeah. Only listened to his first two albums because I like to ease into an artist. I do it with a lot of artists I probably shouldn't!

Most of the phases of his career you describe sound interesting...like...I'm interested to hear Prince even when he's not at his best, because it still sounds like it could be fascinating.

I picked up Around the World In A Day. It's nice, although it does seem a bit more patchy than 1999 or Purple Rain. Condition of the Heart is a bit odd and Tamborine doesn't do much for me. They could grow on me though, and there is enough immediately pleasing that I'll be spinning the record in the future.