Music Banter - View Single Post - The Jazz & Blues Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #268 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

One characteristic of jazz and blues fans that I find particularly attractive is their interest and respect for the pioneers of both genres. I suspect that only classical music beats blues and jazz in its attention to dead composers; for instance, here on MB, members not only mention, but enthuse about Robert Johnson, Scott Joplin and Son House, etc. Blarrobarg`s reference to Oscar Peterson, above, is another example.

I thought I might apply that same spirit of curiosity about the past to MB itself, and recently trawled through the earliest pages of this forum. Some of the recommendations I found were for artists that aren`t much mentioned today; neither pioneers nor hitting today`s headlines, they seem to have fallen somewhere in between. Here are two worthy but apparently forgotten acts who,to my knowledge, have not yet been honoured with having a video clip posted on their behalf. So I thought I might do that here, and invite anyone to comment on these performers, who are completely new names to me.

Back in 2006, Sneer opened a thread that was mainly about Phillious Williams :-
http://www.musicbanter.com/jazz-blue...dark-folk.html
Although most of his Youtube clips have pretty bad sound quality, this one definitely caught my attention:-

Next up is a band that 333 was enjoying in 2009:-
Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
I've been listening to a couple newer jazz bands including performers Skerik, Charlie Hunter and Stanton Moore. They were originally in Garage a Trois, I think and dispersed to do their own thing. Though I'm unsure of the whereabouts of Skerik, Charlie Hunter and Stanton Moore both have their own trios. I am uneducated on the differences between acid jazz and jazz fusion, so I'm not quite sure what to label them, but Outre Mer by Garage a Trio is a great album to start off with just to get a sample of the three. Skerik is an amazing saxophonist. The guy does wonders with air. Charlie is on the guitar and Stanton is usually on the drums.

So what do you think - are these people still active, or best forgotten ?
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote