Music Banter - View Single Post - Children killed in Connecticut school shooting (likely 27 dead,including 18 children)
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #118 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Well, if this guy didn't have access to guns, it wouldn't have been so easy for him to kill so many people, no?
Exactly right. He could have just run through the school with a Katana and maybe only killed a quarter of the children he killed, via physical limitations. And maybe if there was a guard armed with a Katana of his own, they could have gotten into an epic sword fight and the heroic guard could have prevented the massacre from the outset. Or should guns only be allowed for law enforcement? Uh oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I don't have a strong position on the subject to be honest. I'm mostly just in favor of it being discussed rationally. I do feel, though, that the pro-gun crowd has a tendency to (a) overestimate how easy it is for isolated, socially awkward individuals (like the guy in this case) to buy illegal firearms and (b) ignore how guns end up on the streets in the first place.
I agree in whole that there needs to be proactive, not reactive, systems in place to ensure that guns don't end up in the hands of those that would use them maliciously. That's the thing. A lot of people just say "AAAAH BAN ALL GUNS NAO!" without even contextualizing it and actually analyzing the greater effect it would have for this country. But people should consider the situation here instead of simply comparing their own situations and saying "well it works here", and using that as personal proof that a completely different system would work just as well.

I'm not saying you're implying that or anything, but I've seen multiple examples of it in this thread, not to mention in general every time a massacre happens, since 1999 where this became a hot ticket in the US media. I personally think the only people qualified to debate this issue in America are those who are capable of contextualizing it in such a way that considers factors that actually affect America without using another country with another history, population and criteria as some sort of "objective" comparison as to why one scenario would be better than the other.