Music Banter - View Single Post - Children killed in Connecticut school shooting (likely 27 dead,including 18 children)
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #156 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'd say guns lend themselves a lot more to spontaneous violence than building a bomb or poisoning food though.
Thats a fair point, but it suggests that these are acts of rage, when often they appear to be acts of mental illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
This kind of thinking is a result of not seeing the big picture or thinking about things further in the future. Enacting harsher gun control laws NOW wouldn't do anything. The guns are still out there. It would take a long long time to see the effect of these laws. Hell, it's not even the laws that are the point. It's that these would at least spark a shift in our reverence for guns. This is something I think we can all agree needs to happen and since it will take so long why not do it NOW.
Well I certainly think the NRA has too much power over Congress. The fact that the automatic weapons ban, signed by 4 Presidents, was allowed to expire under our former President is absurd. No one needs an automotic weapon. That alone displays the fear of rising against the NRA. If not in early 2013, we may not have another chance and its time to take these things down again.

Also, I don't mind gun control. We have tons of it here in MA and people can still obtain guns, so the idea of it preventing "good people" from having guns is absurd. That being said, I still think the big issue with these mass killings is a lack of healthcare services available for people.Its a concern we need to address immedaitely. And more paranoid schizophrenics are resistent to it, so we need to recreate institutions with a emphasis on care and not locking someone up.