Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #151 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
But it also doesn't work.

The best gun control you can have is a good economy, a minimum wage that keeps pace with inflation, and medical service that meet the needs of the population, especially mental health services.

Taking away guns won't stop someone from making a bomb, or poisoning food. You need to remove the impetus from the individuals.
Gun deaths in the UK last year numbered 39.

Gun homicides in the US in 2012 were 14,159.

Thats 5x our population, yet 363x our gun death rate in murders alone. And the figure I used in the UK was total, the US figure was homicides only, IE did not include accidents. What figures could you bring to me that negate this?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #152 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

The problem with your figures is they don't refute my arguement. America can't be stacked against England because our states have different gun laws. And more importantly, they have different laws regarding the information I laid out as a better plan.

As an example Texas in 2011 had a Firearms Murder rate of 3.19 for every 100,000 people. Conversely, Vermont has a .039 murder rate regarding firearms.

Vermont has more lax gun control laws than Texas does, but it also has a Socialist Senator. Meanwhile, during Texas's massive wildfires, their governor told the population the best response is prayer.

Its not guns. And you haven't told me how gun control would prevent the mass killings I suggested which are more effective and easier to pull off.
TheBig3 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #153 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Taking away guns won't stop someone from making a bomb, or poisoning food. You need to remove the impetus from the individuals.
I'd say guns lend themselves a lot more to spontaneous violence than building a bomb or poisoning food though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #154 (permalink)
Boozy Lad
 
Newkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Newport, South Wales
Posts: 482
Default

Very sad news indeed.

I don't think any amount of weapon control or freedom of use will stop these actions. It's part and parcel of human nature, unfortunately. But that being said, I'll take my chances in a society of knife crime over gun crime.
Newkie is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #155 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post


I'd love to see how this goes over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
But it also doesn't work.

The best gun control you can have is a good economy, a minimum wage that keeps pace with inflation, and medical service that meet the needs of the population, especially mental health services.

Taking away guns won't stop someone from making a bomb, or poisoning food. You need to remove the impetus from the individuals.
This kind of thinking is a result of not seeing the big picture or thinking about things further in the future. Enacting harsher gun control laws NOW wouldn't do anything. The guns are still out there. It would take a long long time to see the effect of these laws. Hell, it's not even the laws that are the point. It's that these would at least spark a shift in our reverence for guns. This is something I think we can all agree needs to happen and since it will take so long why not do it NOW.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #156 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'd say guns lend themselves a lot more to spontaneous violence than building a bomb or poisoning food though.
Thats a fair point, but it suggests that these are acts of rage, when often they appear to be acts of mental illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
This kind of thinking is a result of not seeing the big picture or thinking about things further in the future. Enacting harsher gun control laws NOW wouldn't do anything. The guns are still out there. It would take a long long time to see the effect of these laws. Hell, it's not even the laws that are the point. It's that these would at least spark a shift in our reverence for guns. This is something I think we can all agree needs to happen and since it will take so long why not do it NOW.
Well I certainly think the NRA has too much power over Congress. The fact that the automatic weapons ban, signed by 4 Presidents, was allowed to expire under our former President is absurd. No one needs an automotic weapon. That alone displays the fear of rising against the NRA. If not in early 2013, we may not have another chance and its time to take these things down again.

Also, I don't mind gun control. We have tons of it here in MA and people can still obtain guns, so the idea of it preventing "good people" from having guns is absurd. That being said, I still think the big issue with these mass killings is a lack of healthcare services available for people.Its a concern we need to address immedaitely. And more paranoid schizophrenics are resistent to it, so we need to recreate institutions with a emphasis on care and not locking someone up.
TheBig3 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #157 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 1,898
Default

I know you guys are having fun arguing whether or not guns will ever go away (they won't) or how violence can be stopped (with much difficulty), but here's another horrible news story of a maniac attacking children, that happened on the exact same day. Human beings have the potential to do more evil than I can imagine.

Villager slashes 22 kids with knife at elementary school gates in China - World News

EDIT: Note, this isn't some sort of sneaky way to express my views on violence and guns, this is just a horrible, related bit of news that I wanted to share.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 AM   #158 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
I know you guys are having fun arguing whether or not guns will ever go away (they won't) or how violence can be stopped (with much difficulty), but here's another horrible news story of a maniac attacking children, that happened on the exact same day. Human beings have the potential to do more evil than I can imagine.

Villager slashes 22 kids with knife at elementary school gates in China - World News

EDIT: Note, this isn't some sort of sneaky way to express my views on violence and guns, this is just a horrible, related bit of news that I wanted to share.
Wow, that was condecending, huh?
TheBig3 is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #159 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Well, to only see those two options as being valid to pursue sorta doesn't make very much of an argument, because I definitely don't think those are the only options that could fit on the table.
Making it harder to obtain firearms is somewhere in the middle, and it should be pursued vigorously, as that option lessens the chances of the wrong people obtaining them while not eliminating the chances of the right people obtaining them.
What? Making it harder to obtain firearms would fall under stricter gun control would it not?

It's a spectrum of gun control, either you move up the ladder toward stricter, or you move down toward more lenient. Or you stay the same and address another problem. Those are your only options.

Quote:
As far as an armed guard not really working because it could take 1 minute to kill a classroom, I gotta think you're intentionally not actually considering this discussion seriously. Tell you what. If you can come up with a plan to somehow figure out how to install an armed security guard in such a way as to actually prevent an armed 20 year old from entering a class room and killing all the students, you win.

Winning means your previous post is contradicted. Not winning means you're not very bright.
I'm not saying it wouldn't work, I'm saying he'd probably have to be heavily armed at the least to make it work. Let's not forget that Columbine had an armed security guard, that didn't do much good.
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline  
Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #160 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,412
Default

I don't see how Americans don't want the system we have in place here, it's not like you can't have guns for hobbies. My friends dad has a gun licence and special cupboard to keep them in because he uses them for hunting. So what is the problem?
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.