Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become stagnant (stopped moving/evolving)?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #130 (permalink)
Pursuingchange
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
i personally don't think so, if anything music has become overflooded..

there's ALOT (and do mean ALOT) of bands out there, some of them pushing the envelope, some of them just trying to get a hit song..

Just because these bands are not famous or you don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Music is always evolving, always moving forward sometimes in a direction we don't like but is still moving forward..

im personally stuck in the 90's grunge era but even so.. i recognise that bands like Deerhoor or Of montreal or even less experimental bands like Arcade fire

are still out there doing what they love without compromising their vision.

So music is still evolving and Rock is far from dead, you just gonna know where to look.
Hey, I wanted to comment on your post.

So, I sort of agree and disagree. I understand that there may be bands or artists out there that continually (try to) push the envelope. But then you made the statement that "you just have to look for them". I wish I had a penny for every time I've heard this. If something is truly ground breaking, you shouldn't have to go looking for it to no avail. It would more than likely be well-known. Today, I just don't see that kind of innovation you got from The Beatles, Zeppelin, MJ, EVH, Hendrix, etc... I kind of feel like its not really our fault either. It was easy to innovate in the earlier days because there was still tons of undiscovered styles and sounds. But I kind of feel like we've discovered it all. How else can you explain how stagnant popular music has become? If there were any more groundbreaking new sounds or styles to be unveiled, you know the large corporations would be force-feeding it to everyone. Its like that with film too, very few original ideas or approaches, and many remakes of older films etc... I honestly believe that rock music in it essence is completely dead and will never come back. Every time I try to write or be creative on guitar, I stop and think "I'm a guitarist, WOW! Very innovative. " I think people are getting tired of the whole 'rock band' concept with guitars as the main sound. It's been done for half a century now. The entire scope of what a band is and how the music is made and approached will have to completely change for there to be any true originality and renewment to progressing creatively and musically (like it did when rock and roll was being created). The people who stick to using guitars and other old instruments will never be innovative. I think it really is that simple.

However, contrary to popular belief, I AM interested in your opinions.
Pursuingchange is offline   Reply With Quote