Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #121 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
He got accused of going off topic by a mod (and I'm not sure why).
It was because he was going off topic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #122 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post

^ This is my perspective on this thread's evolution. I *am* sorry the discussion went the way it did, because I can see the OP wanted genuinely to discuss a topic that interests him.
Really?

I don't know what thread you were reading but I didn't see that at all. I saw someone who already entered the thread with his mind made up and wasn't the slightest bit interested in what anyone else had to say to him.

I gave him an example of something he was looking for and he dismissed it twice without even bothering to listen. So much for 'the OP wanted genuinely to discuss a topic that interests him.'
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #123 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: indoors
Posts: 721
Default

He can speak for himself, if he wishes. In my opinion, there's no requirement that somebody start a thread with much of an open mind. It's still potentially interesting what others have to say regardless. This forum would have more activity if name-calling and other unfriendly behaviors were discouraged.
sopsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #124 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopsych View Post
He can speak for himself, if he wishes. In my opinion, there's no requirement that somebody start a thread with much of an open mind.
Then why only ask a question in the original post?

If he had started this thread by calling it 'Music Has Become Stagnant' and made a long tedious post about how there isn't another Eddie Van Halen or Michael Jackson I would have known what his position is right from the start and wouldn't have wasted my time taking his question seriously and giving him a serious answer.

It's people who pull stuff like this that wastes everybodys time that is annoying about this place, not one mild insult said out of frustration.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #125 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger ? View Post
Then why only ask a question in the original post?

If he had started this thread by calling it 'Music Has Become Stagnant' and made a long tedious post about how there isn't another Eddie Van Halen or Michael Jackson I would have known what his position is right from the start and wouldn't have wasted my time taking his question seriously and giving him a serious answer.

It's people who pull stuff like this that wastes everybodys time that is annoying about this place, not one mild insult said out of frustration.
Right. He posed a question so he needs to accept all opinions on the matter...
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #126 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Based in London
Posts: 1
Default I disagree!!

I don't believe music has stopped evolving, but i do believe that it is recycled however what makes music seem brand now is the artist behind it, and what they bring to the plate as well as their passion.

My company encourages to show the skeleton or the backbone into why people get into art, and possibly it allows their material to have a greater meaning, Let me know if you want to have a look!
Pandorica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #127 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: indoors
Posts: 721
Default

If you were a hard-core Republican, wouldn't you be curious to at least hear short answers about your neighbors' political views? Therefore, don't get mad at someone for asking; and remember he never said, Please write a lengthy reply.
sopsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #128 (permalink)
Out of Place
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house
Posts: 4,004
Default

i personally don't think so, if anything music has become overflooded..

there's ALOT (and do mean ALOT) of bands out there, some of them pushing the envelope, some of them just trying to get a hit song..

Just because these bands are not famous or you don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Music is always evolving, always moving forward sometimes in a direction we don't like but is still moving forward..

im personally stuck in the 90's grunge era but even so.. i recognise that bands like Deerhoor or Of montreal or even less experimental bands like Arcade fire

are still out there doing what they love without compromising their vision.

So music is still evolving and Rock is far from dead, you just gonna know where to look.
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #129 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Pursuingchange, I'm sorry about all the name-calling, sarcasm, and mockery, including an accusation of mental illness, that people have used in this thread.

I wish a discussion about music, which I think most of us like very much, wouldn't lead to expressions of hostility by so many individuals as misunderstandings and disagreements lead to frustration.

People in this thread do not represent the community as a whole, so please do not assume you aren't wanted here.

I noticed that the first name-calling was done by a mod (http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...ml#post1260500) and I apologize that you or anyone at this community who is trying to have a discussion about music has been called names, which always exaggerate and thus are inaccurate. For example, I might be an arse in a few instances, but a total arse is probably a slight exaggeration!

I'll give you my thoughts on your original question that you restated here:
You love getting on your high horse when it comes to new members, don't you?

I saw plenty of infractable posts from pursuing and none from a mod.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #130 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
i personally don't think so, if anything music has become overflooded..

there's ALOT (and do mean ALOT) of bands out there, some of them pushing the envelope, some of them just trying to get a hit song..

Just because these bands are not famous or you don't know them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Music is always evolving, always moving forward sometimes in a direction we don't like but is still moving forward..

im personally stuck in the 90's grunge era but even so.. i recognise that bands like Deerhoor or Of montreal or even less experimental bands like Arcade fire

are still out there doing what they love without compromising their vision.

So music is still evolving and Rock is far from dead, you just gonna know where to look.
Hey, I wanted to comment on your post.

So, I sort of agree and disagree. I understand that there may be bands or artists out there that continually (try to) push the envelope. But then you made the statement that "you just have to look for them". I wish I had a penny for every time I've heard this. If something is truly ground breaking, you shouldn't have to go looking for it to no avail. It would more than likely be well-known. Today, I just don't see that kind of innovation you got from The Beatles, Zeppelin, MJ, EVH, Hendrix, etc... I kind of feel like its not really our fault either. It was easy to innovate in the earlier days because there was still tons of undiscovered styles and sounds. But I kind of feel like we've discovered it all. How else can you explain how stagnant popular music has become? If there were any more groundbreaking new sounds or styles to be unveiled, you know the large corporations would be force-feeding it to everyone. Its like that with film too, very few original ideas or approaches, and many remakes of older films etc... I honestly believe that rock music in it essence is completely dead and will never come back. Every time I try to write or be creative on guitar, I stop and think "I'm a guitarist, WOW! Very innovative. " I think people are getting tired of the whole 'rock band' concept with guitars as the main sound. It's been done for half a century now. The entire scope of what a band is and how the music is made and approached will have to completely change for there to be any true originality and renewment to progressing creatively and musically (like it did when rock and roll was being created). The people who stick to using guitars and other old instruments will never be innovative. I think it really is that simple.

However, contrary to popular belief, I AM interested in your opinions.
Pursuingchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.