Music Banter - View Single Post - Has music become stagnant (stopped moving/evolving)?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 PM   #134 (permalink)
Pursuingchange
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
i do see your point that basically everything has been done before but i only agree to an extent..

First of all, not every music artist wants to be a radical and "redefine" what is music. and second of all with time everything will be a given.

For a time Marylin Manson was shocking, now we are used to Him, you are also focusing in mainstream music, Bands everybody knows so you are following the majority's taste in music..

now i ask you, aren't most of the bands we love not popular ones?

Rock history may tell me Jimmy hendrix was a innovator but i still prefer Joey santiago..

What good is innovation if you can't make a good tune?

What you consider innovation is subjective, Music artists Have their own vision apart from yours and they innovate within that.
Now your talking! That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for! I think your mostly right. Although, I must say, I don't know why someone would get into music if they didn't want to be creative or innovative. I kind of feel that it is my obligation as a musician to not allow music to deteriorate or lack. My thinking is "full speed ahead". I'm just at a loss for new ideas right now because I think music (esprecially rock) is basically used up. I think the reason it has faded and lacks new innovators is simply becayse there's nowhere else to go with it. And honestly, another generation of rock bands and guitar players would even give ME a sick stomach. I think people have grown tired of the same o same o rock band with a guitar player scenario. As much as I love it, I know I have. But what, if anything, would take its place? And how could one ever possibly invent a new instrument that would ever have the impact tht the electric guitar had? These questions lead me to the innevitable conclusion that music is basically dead. Innovation is that thing that happened in history, it doesn't happen in this day.
Pursuingchange is offline   Reply With Quote